Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Requirements are Required

Test Requirements are required for proper testing. The project I'm currently on, more or less, have requirements. I say more or less because there are requirements written down, but they're not signed off. I, as a sub-contractor, and I'm trying to follow the requirements as written, even though it's not signed off.

Today I was working with the contractor, going over the user interface. Some questions came up about how the operator interface worked, he wanted things done differently. At one point I pointed out that I did it according to the requirements. The contractor I was showing it to said "I don't care what that [the requirements] says, I want it like this."

To change something they want is not the problem, it's the fact that it's written one way and going to be implemented a different way. We could held accountable later for not implimenting the requirements correctly.

I'm not an anal retentive person, I'm probably more loosy-goosey, but I also want to protect my self. I've been in the situation where a boss told me to do things one way instead of the way the documentation explained it. Later, the same boss called me out in a meeting on doing it incorrectly. Since then, I do it the way the documentation says and if someone wants it done differently, then change the documentation. That's when I'll change it.

Basically, to protect yourself, write down what's wanted (requirements), agree to them, then follow them. If someone wants changes, change the documentation, agree on cost and schedule, and then implement the changes.

Bottom line, CYA!

No comments: