Monday, August 6, 2007

NI Week - First night

Tonight was the first night of NI week. I had fun...in a nerdy way. The Expo floor was open for an initial viewing. It's not a huge Expo floor but it's full good information. There are a lot of companies that use NI products. I know that I got a lot of good information, some information on things I wanted to see (Lego Mindstorms) and a lot of information on what I need to be looking for for my company (Test Sets and LabVIEW)

I was impressed by all the vendors, there was a good mix of all NI products users. Some who deal with vision and motion,I('m not necessarily interested in that), some dealing with TestSets, some dealing with sensor's, some with LabVIEW. There were a lot of test solutions houses, the companies who build test sets and develop software to test a UUT (Unit Under Test). G-Systems, a company that builds test sets for Lockheed and other companies, was there.

I have a lot of information from the vendors that I will go through to see what we need now, need in the future, and don't need. That is the problem with these, information overload. Each vendor booth you walk up to you have about 2 to 4 minutes to find out what a company does, figure out if it's something you need or something you may need. Or even something that is not needed but has good swag (Free stuff).

Some companies want to get rid of their swag and some companies want to give away the good swag to those they think are really interested. The trick is to learn enough about a company from their banners to know what to say to get the good swag.

While swag is the perk, information is the what you need to go for. The key is to get what you need (information) along with some of what you want (swag).

I'm now geared up for the seminar's that will come up tomorrow. I also met someone who actually read my blog...Cool!

Have a blogging great day.

No comments: