Thursday, August 2, 2007

NI Week T-4 Days

It's only four (4) more days until NI Week. I've found out that the festivities begin on Monday evening in the Expo hall. It will be our first chance to see the exhibitors and whatever NI will be showcasing this year.

There are 5 people from our site going to NI Week. This is a pretty big number for us. I also found out that one of the bosses from Test Engineering is going, that makes 6. I don't report directly to him but he does have influence. I see one of three things happening, I avoid him, thus I don't have to deal with him. Since we have different interests I'm pretty sure we'll be going to different seminars. Another posibility is that I'll try to suck up to him. I don't see this happening since I don't suck up well, I either say what I feel or just keep my mouth shut.

What I hope to happen is some bonding. For me it may take some alcohol to want to hang around him. Not because he's not nice, he just doesn't seem to be the guy I would hang around with. I could be totally wrong and we have fun. I maybe learning more at NI Week than just about NI Products. But then, I'm always up for a learning experience, as long as it doesn't kill my career. I'll buy him a beer and see how it goes.

I can guess that he's going to look at LabVIEW. He's pushing our department toward LabVIEW even though many, many of us don't want it. It's a graphical language geared toward hardware people and he's most certainly a hardware guy. I admit I'm going to learn more about labVIEW so that I dis-like it less. Unfortunately, as long as it has a lot of mouse movement and it aggravates my Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, I probably won't like it.

So much for the extended learning opportunities at NI Week. It's still only 4 days.

No comments: