Saturday, August 18, 2007

More LabVIEW for more LabWindows programmers

A lot of the resistance to LabVIEW from LabWindows CVI comes down to change and the unfamiliar. At Lockheed, there is a lot of change going on at the moment. Change is not bad as long as there is a goal or reason for the change. But to many changes at one time can overload people. With all the other changes and one of the bosses wanting to change to using LabVIEW is overloading.

LabVIEW is a paradigm shift from structure programming to data flow programing. I'm not sure if I'm on board for the data flow programming paradigm either. However, I believe LabVIEW and LabWindows can co-exists, as I've said before. I'm not entirely sure the boss who wants to switch to LabVIEW believes they can co-exist, it may be one or the other for him.

Also, some people are resistant to change no matter what the reason, change is bad. I can change their minds, I can only provide information to help allow them to change. None of it is easy, but it's not always as hard as it seems.

For me with LabVIEW, there's always the Carpel Tunnel Syndrome that also makes me not want to change, but that's another issue.

No comments: