Wednesday, August 8, 2007

NI Week...another day at 'nerd'vana

I want to make sure it’s clear (in case it’s not clear from my blogs) I’m Joe Engineer, NI Product user and not an NI detractor or any loyalties to NI. I started my blog to express my opinion as an impartial NI user.

Keynote, again, was very good and showed off several of there future products. Something new is NI Labs, NI’s online products beta test site. They are putting their products ready for final beta test out there and letting the NI community at large do the final beta testing.

LabWindows CVI users group was good, we got to voice our opinion on LabWindows CVI and it’s operations. One thing that came out from a guy who did both LabVIEW and CVI development was LabVIEW seems to cause over confidence. People can put together a simple LabVIEW VI and they feel they’re a programmer. Then, after several small LabVIEW successes, they’re given a big project in LabVIEW and they do it poorly. While LabWindows programs are typically developed by programmers, with the understanding, knowledge, and discipline of a programmer.

Also, the VP of applications indicated there are not as many help calls about LabWindows, most likely because it’s done by programmers who can figure things out. Although it was said that if they want more help calls, they should write more bugs into it…like LabVIEW has done. Remember, it was a LabWindows CVI users group.

One guy I work with came last year and said it was boring after the first day. All I can say is he must not have been at NI Week.

No comments: