Friday, August 8, 2008

What I learned at NIWeek

While I could say what I learned about FPGAs or LabVIEW I know that's not the most important lesson I learned. On the last day of NIWeek Andrew Hargadon spoke on "Green Entrepreneurship" ...more or less. He really spoke on Innovation but he told NI he would speak on Green so he could get on the stage at NIWeek.

His talk made me think; It made me think about thinking, about using my brain, about getting things moving in an innovative way, not a new way, but a different, better way.

And that's what I like about National Instruments and NIWeek. Not that there's new products that are Smaller, Better, Faster than the older products. It's about innovation, taking things known, re-combining them, and making something better and getting it out there.

I'm not a LabVIEW fan, I may have said that before, but I am a fan of the innovation of LabVIEW. Dr. James Truchard, Jeff Kodosky, and Bill Nowlin combined the computer, programming, and graphics into LabVIEW, an innovative graphical programming product. It's more than just the Test, the Software, or the Hardware aspects of NI, it's the innovation.

To me, innovation is the whole point of NIWeek, the Innovative thoughts behind the new products. NIWeek inspires me to be innovative, combine old things into new, better things. It get's me thinking along different lines, about more than Test, Software, or Hardware, it's about what can be, about more.

The Experience of NIWeek and the products showcased are great. And it's a good way to get everyone together, to network, and focus on test. But, at least to me, it's much bigger than that. NI Week is like Disney world is to a child. Disney World makes kids imagine what could be. And that's me with NIWeek, I'm imagining what can be.

Now I need to move past the kid in me, and move the imagination to innovation. The next step.

No comments: