Friday, July 24, 2009

Is Software Engineering relavent to Test Engineering

I've been trying to get a hold of Teradyne's TestStudio in order to compare it to TestStand. It's been about a month and a half since I've been trying to get a copy. Good news...sort of. I'm told my constant requests may have finially paid off. I'm told, Teradyne finally relented and is going to send us a preliminary copy of TestStudio. It may be in the building, it may be in the mail, so I haven't actually seen it. So, hopefully soon, I can do a comparison.

On to other things...

I've been thinking a lot about where Software Engineering fits into Test Engineering. While I understand the fact that it is an integral part of testing, I've noticed a prevailing thought, at least where I work, that software is secondary and trivial piece of the overall testing practice, "You can get anyone off the street to do the software." (qoute from a manager at work)

This thought was brought about when it seemed like I was the only one trying to get a preliminary copy of TestStudio. The tech lead dealing with getting TestStudio seemed unconcerned on getting the software tools while spending endless hours on getting exactly the right hardware. TestStudio was even picked as a software tool with almost zero input from people who deal mainly with software.

Due to the shrinking of many UUTs, a lot of tests are moving to software. Either the UUT is loaded with an Operational Test Program (OTP) or the UUT only has communications port, test software is becoming more and more important. People need more software expertise rather than less software software expertise.

I'm just frustrated knowing that most of the software decisions are being made by the software inept and I may not have a path up the technical ladder because of my leanings toward software.

If you're reading this, thanks for reading my vent.

1 comment:

control valves said...

Thanks for the helpful information. Hope to hear more from you.