Monday, June 29, 2009

Comparing TestStudio and TestStand..Not!

Comparing TestStand and TestStudio at this point is...impossible. At the momment, I'm still waiting on the official PO to go to Teradyne so that they will be so kind as to give us the software we're buying. We have sent them 10% of the PO for long lead items but that isn't enough insurance to actually get the software.

It's starting to wear thin, I just want to learn a little about this monstrosity called TestStudio. I am assuming it is a steaming pile of ... code. Until I actually get to see a copy of it, I'm not going to change my opinion.

Once I get to play with TestStudio I really am going to compare it to TestStand. Okay, I do have one bit of pre-knowledge of TestStudio that I can compare to TestStand. Any parameters passed out of TestStudio to a DLL or other code is only allowed to be passed in Character strings. TestStand does it right and passes the value in the form it needs (i.e. integers, doubles, pointers, etc).

Last week the score was TestStand 2, TestStudio -2. The score is now TestStand 3, TestStudio -3 for TestStands ability to pass parameters correctly and Teradynes unwillingness to allow people who are going to use it to actually use it.

No comments: