Saturday, July 19, 2008

NI Week - Boondoggle?

It's about two weeks until NI-Week and I'm excited. However, some at work say it's just a boondoggle (Definition: Boondoggle - To do work of little or no practical value merely to keep or look busy. [Dictionary.com]). They say people go to Seminars just to get out of work, get paid, and goof off. I say that NI-Week (i.e. Seminar's) are what you make of it. You go to learn...you learn. You go to party...you get a hangover. No boondoggle here.

Most of them had a chance to go themselves. However, since we're suppose to report on what we learn from NI-Week, most people chose didn't ask to go.

Last year I went and I learned a lot, not just about NI products, but about how other companies do things, equipment is out there, and what services are available. There was a lot of helpful seminar' on many different subjects.

One problem I had last year was I brought back a lot of good information, but then I was indirectly told to do my job like we've always do it. So is it really a boondoggle if you learn and not allowed to use what you learn? I say no.

At least this year I'll get to report on what I learn whether I get to use it or not.

I'm planning on learning:
- What are the future trends in Test Software Development?
- Trends in shrinking Test Set design.
This is where my learning experience starts, but once I get there my focus may change. I also want use the digital video camera to come up with some good man on the street views on these things.

My goal for this year is to go, learn, come back and teach anyone who will listen. Of course I want to network and have fun, too.

Everyone should go, learn, and have fun.

No comments: